6/12/13

Grilled Pizza


I've told you all many times about the heat in Vegas.  I think you are well aware that we live in the desert and from June to October we're 100+ degrees.  So, for me to use the oven takes something pretty dang special. Pizza is usually one of those special things.  Until now.




I'm sorry, but when it's 113 degrees outside, I avoid turning on the oven like the plague.  So when I was
craving a crispy, thin crust vegetable pizza I knew I had to figure out how to make it on the grill.  Plus, I needed a good excuse to make a bread dough in my new KitchenAid stand mixer.  Yeah, The Hubs kind of knows how to win me over - buy me kitchen gadgets.  I'm THAT predictable.











When Summer hits, I don't want to mess with heavy ingredients.  I like light.  And nothing beats a nice garlic and herb infused olive oil spread to put on top of that crispy crust.  Add some fresh vegetables like red pepper, mushrooms, spinach (remember, I also like color!) and I'm head over heels in love with the party going on in my mouth.










Grilling pizza may sound complicated and difficult.  It may sound like you need a lot of different utensils to
make.  Guess what, it was THE EASIEST way I've ever made pizza (except using the Papa John's app on my phone).  And it's super fast.  Like from very start to finish took 1 hour.  Cooking took 5 minutes.  LOVING IT!  And the smoky taste that the grill adds to it makes it taste like you're eating at a gourmet pizza place.  Pizza, on the grill.  Get 'er done.








Grilled Pizza


Ingredients:


4 1/2 Tbs. (or two packets) yeast
1 cup hot water
4 1/2 Tbs. sugar
2 3/4 cups bread flour
2 tsp. canola oil
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 Tbs. dried oregano
1 red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
Sliced baby bella mushrooms
Sliced olives
Spinach leaves
Artichoke heart quarters
2 cups mozzarella cheese
Cooking spray

Directions:

1. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, and oregano.  Stir with a fork.  Cover and set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, combine hot water, yeast and sugar.  Allow yeast to work for about 15 minutes or until foamy.

3. In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 tsp. canola oil, and 1/2 tsp. salt.  Add yeast mixture.  Mix on low until moistened.  Add remaining flour, oil, and salt.  Continue to mix on medium, allowing dough to knead for a few minutes until dough is smooth.  If dough is still sticky, sprinkle 1/4 cup flour onto counter and knead by hand until flour is incorporated.

4. Grease a large bowl and transfer dough.  Cover with saran wrap and allow to rest for 1 hour.



5. Preheat grill on high heat.  Remove dough and divide into 4 equal parts.  Using fingers, flatten out into a round that is 1/4 inch thick.  Spray grill grates with nonstick cooking spray.  Place dough directly on grates.  Cook for 2 minutes or until bottom of dough has grill marks and can be removed easily from grates.  If dough is still sticking to grates, allow to cook a little longer.  Remove from grill and place cooked side up.  Reduce heat to medium.

6. Spread olive oil mixture over top of each crust (cooked side) and top with vegetables and 1/2 cup of cheese each.  Place back on grill and close cover.  Cook for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bottom of crust is cooked.

Serves 4