6/27/13

Sweet and Sour Chicken Kabobs


Last week I had an insane craving for Chinese take-out.  At the same time though, I have cravings constantly for grilled food.  So, when I thought about this, and the possibility of throwing in some grilled pineapple, I knew that a recipe would soon develop for grilled Sweet and Sour Chicken.





So why grilled?  First of all, I am not a huge fan of breaded meat that usually comes with oriental foods.  I would rather have straight up grilled meat.  Second, there is something so wonderful about grilled vegetables.  Especially peppers and onions - there is a sweetness that is brought out when you grill them. Third, pineapple.  Oh.My.Lanta. If you haven't had grilled pineapple, get off your rear and go try it!  Again, the grill brings out the sweetness, making it so rich.








I usually don't order sweet and sour when I have Chinese food.  I'm not a huge fan of the sauce - it's too thick.  So I set out on a mission to create a lovely, light sweet and sour sauce.  And I wanted to use ingredients that would enhance the taste of the grilled food.  Now, I suggest you use rice vinegar in the sauce - it has a bit of a sweetness to it that regular white distilled vinegar lacks.  And you have to use pineapple juice.  It makes this sauce.  So grab your chopsticks, steam some rice, and have some Sweet and Sour Chicken!






Sweet and Sour Chicken Kabobs

Ingredients:


1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
4 Tbs. brown sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cornstarch
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cubed
1 white onion, cubed
1 whole pineapple, peeled, cored, and cubed
Rice

Directions:

1. In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, salt, and cornstarch with a whisk.  Add pineapple juice, vinegar, ketchup and water.  Whisk until sugar is dissolved.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly to prevent lumps.  Once at a boil, cook for 2 minutes and remove from heat.  Set aside.

2. Thread chicken, pepper, onion, and pineapple cubes onto skewers, alternating pieces (I do chicken, onion, pineapple, pepper, etc.).

3. Divide sauce into two parts.  Set one part aside for serving.  Brush other half over skewers, continuing to brush during the cooking process.

4. Preheat grill over medium high heat.  Lightly oil grate.  Place skewers on grill.  Allow to cook for 3 minutes on each side (12 minutes total), brushing sauce over skewers each time you rotate.

5. When kabobs are done, remove meat and vegetables from skewers and serve over rice with remaining sweet and sour sauce.

Serves 4