8/14/13

Pizza Sauce




I think I've adequately expressed my affinity for pizza.  There's no love-hate.  Just love.  Here's the thing though, I've had a hard time with red sauce.  Mostly due to the preservatives and how acidic they make the tomatoes.  But I just want traditional pizza every once in a while.  How do I fix my problem?  I make my own sauce, of course!  And not only does it taste awesome, it smells awesome when you are making it.  And it makes enough for 2 pizzas!  Add it to your favorite crust and mmmmmm....I'm thinking pizza tonight.



Pizza Sauce


Ingredients:


1 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 medium onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1 Tbs. dried oregano
1/2 Tbs. dried basil
2 tsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt

Directions:

1. Preheat a medium sauce pan over medium heat.  Add olive oil.  Add onion and garlic and sautee until onion becomes translucent.

2. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano, basil, sugar, and salt.  Bring to a simmer.  Add more salt to desired taste.

3. While hot, pour sauce into a food processor or blender.  Process on high until sauce is smooth.

4. Pour 1 cup into a container for later use.  Keep refrigerated, up to 3 weeks.  Repeat with other cup or use immediately.

Makes 2 cups