10/25/13

BC Blueberry Pie





I lived in British Columbia (Vancouver) for a little under a year.  I loved it.  The climate, the culture, the food.  I seriously do.  There is such a diversity in the cultures there.  And being on the Pacific Coast, you get all kinds of fresh seafood.  But one of my favorite things there are the blueberries.  Huge, plump, sweet blueberries.  There are stands all over the place.  And then there's Granville Market.  Isles and isles of big fresh blueberries.  I found a restaurant there that serves fresh blueberry pie.  And I became addicted to it. That's right, I had to make it for myself.








We're not talking canned pie filling blueberries.  This pie still has those plump blueberries that pop in your mouth when you take a bite.  Holy cow, I'm drooling as I'm writing this!  The trick is to cook only half your blueberries to make a simple sauce.  That way you still get that "pop" when you bite into a fresh fruit pie.  It's an open pie (one crust) and if you want to really fill the shell, you can add another cup of uncooked blueberries.  Personally, I like to fill the rest of the shell with whipped cream.



BC (British Columbia) Blueberry Pie


Ingredients:


1 prepared 9 inch pie crust, baked and cooled
4 cups fresh blueberries
1 Tbs. flour
1 Tbs. butter, melted
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1/2 cup white sugar

Directions:

1. Combine flour, butter, lemon juice, and sugar in a medium saucepan. Add 2 cups of the blueberries and cook over medium heat. Stir frequently until sauce begins to boil and berries begin to pop open.  Remove from heat.

2. Add remaining 2 cups of blueberries and stir gently to combine.  Pour immediately into cooled pie crust.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until pie has chilled and is set up.  Serve with whipped cream.

Makes 1, 9 inch pie