12/16/13

Red Velvet and Candy Cane Blossoms





Every year at Christmas our family had a tradition of caroling to our friends and neighbors and dropping off plates of goodies to each one.  Specifically, they were plates of delicious cookies that we would make with the occasional dipped chocolate or bite of fudge.  All homemade.  It's a tradition that I've carried on, minus the caroling.  Maybe I should start taking around our iPod and playing that instead.  :)  But I'm going to take the next few days and share some goodies recipes with you.







One of the cookies that my mom would make were Peanut Butter Blossoms.  But I have a cookie of my own that I like to make instead.  Red Velvet Candy Cane Blossoms.  I think I've mentioned my obsession for Red Velvet.  Holy smokes, it's amazing.  And so very perfect for Christmas.  They're red, chocolate and rich, and topped with Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses!  These disappear literally within 24 hours of me making them.  Don't say I didn't warn you!





Red Velvet and Candy Cane Blossoms


Ingredients:


1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 Tbs. milk
1 Tbs. red food coloring
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup baking cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 3/4 cup flour
Red sugar sprinkles
24-36 unwrapped Hershey candy cane kisses

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease a cookie sheet.

2. Cream together butter and sugar.  Add egg, milk, food coloring, and vanilla.  Beat until well blended.

3. Add cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and 1 cup of flour.  Mix well until dry ingredients are incorporated.  Add another cup of flour and repeat mixing.  Add final 3/4 cup of flour and mix until incorporated.

4. Take about 1 1/2 Tbs. cookie dough and roll it into a ball in the palm of your hands.  Roll ball in red sugar sprinkles and place on cookie sheet.  Repeat with remaining cookie dough.  Bake for 8-10 minutes.

5. Remove cookies sheet from oven and allow cookies to cool for about 5 minutes.  Press candy cane kisses into the center of each cookie and remove cookies to cooling rack to cool completely.

Makes 2-3 dozen cookies