4/17/14

Slow Cooker Picnic Ham





Pork is a traditional Easter main course.  Some have pork chops, some have pork roast.  But the ham is one of the most made main dishes on Easter.  I was never a big fan of ham.  It was always dry, chewy, too salty.  Until now.  I went to Hawaii several years ago and the food was almost hypnotizing to me.  Especially at the luaus with the roasted pig and all that wonderful pineapple.  I'm a huge fan of fresh pineapple - I'll even eat it until I have cankers in my mouth.  So when it came time to fix a ham for Easter dinner and making a ham, I combined a few of my favorite marinades and added some pineapple to it.






This recipe calls for the ham not to be marinated, but to be slow cooked in the marinade.  The soda tenderizes the meat while the orange and pineapple juices give it another level of tender (high acidity levels in the juices) as well as a sweetness.  And frankly, citrus and ginger just were made to go together.  I use a picnic ham because my family is smaller, but you could use a regular ham (please get one with the bone in.  Seriously, it's so much better.).  And it will not slice like a regular spiral cut ham would - this is tender and just comes apart with a fork.  It's a beautiful thing.







Slow Cooker Picnic Ham


Ingredients:


4-6 pound picnic ham, bone in
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup pineapple juice
2 cups lemon lime soda
1/2 cup vinegar
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. ginger

Directions:

1. In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients except ham.  Whisk to combine.

2. Place ham in slow cooker, fat side up, and baste with sauce.  Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours, basting ham every hour.

3. When finished, remove ham from slow cooker and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.

Serves 8-10
Recipe Updated 4/17/2014
Enhanced by Zemanta