6/10/14

Hawaiian Hot Dogs







I've been on a HUGE fresh pineapple kick lately.  I go through this phase every summer whenever the
temperatures start hovering around 100 degrees.  I want a fresh pineapple, cool and juicy.  And I kind of love King's Hawaiian breads.  And then there's bacon.  How do you combine the three?  With a hot dog, of course!










I have a hard time eating a plain hot dog, unless I'm at a ball game.  I had this idea of making a pineapple and mango (because I had one on hand and needed to use it) salsa.  More fresh produce.  Yum.  But I didn't want the hot dog to be overly sweet.  Adding the bacon was an attempt to curb that.  And it worked.  It made a hot dog that was a blend of savory, sweet, and spicy.  The only problem?  Eating only one.  Or two.  Good thing I was full at two.




Hawaiian Hot Dogs


Ingredients:


6 hot dogs
12 slices smoked bacon
1 package King's Hawaiian Hot Dog Buns
Optional: Kroger Sweet and Spicy Steak Sauce

Pineapple-Mango Salsa:

1/2 fresh pineapple, cored and peeled
1 ripe mango, peeled and seeded
1/2 medium red onion
1 small jalapeno, seeded
2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
Juice from 2 limes

Directions:

1. Prepare hot dogs by wrapping 2 slices of bacon around and securing with a toothpick.  Preheat grill to medium heat.

2. Prepare salsa.  Finely chop pineapple, mango, onion, and jalapeno.  Combine with cilantro and lime juice.  Set aside.

3. Cook hot dogs on grill until bacon is crisp and hot dogs are slightly charred on ends.

4. Place hot dogs in buns and top with salsa.  Serve immediately.

Serves 4-6
Enhanced by Zemanta