5/9/13

Slow Cooker Chicken Curry


I LURVE Indian food.  I had the fortunate opportunity to live in Vancouver, British Columbia for a few months.  There is a large Indian population there, and I worked with a few guys who introduced me to this cuisine.  Oh.My.GOSH!  To die for, in my opinion.  Everything from curries to buttered chicken.  Just amazing.  



So I set out to make my own version of chicken curry, in the slow cooker.  Because in my opinion, the longer you allow a meat or veggie to sit in curry, the better it tastes.  It's true!  In fact, I even prefer to eat this dish the next day more than the day I cook it.  All the flavors just mesh so well - curry, coconut, ginger, cinnamon.  Okay, my mouth is watering.  And I love to serve this curry with Jasmine rice.  So fantastically fragrant and yummy.  







Slow Cooker Chicken Curry



Ingredients:



1 medium onion, chopped
3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
5 garlic cloves
3 skinless/boneless chicken breasts
1 can (12 oz.) diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
4 Tbs. curry powder
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. paprika

1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. sugar

2 cups plain Greek yogurt
1 1/2 cup coconut milk
2 Tbs. lemon juice

Directions:


1. In a large mixing bowl, combine curry, cinnamon, paprika, ginger, sugar, yogurt, coconut milk, and lemon juice.

2. Add sweet potatoes, onion, and garlic cloves to slow cooker.  Place chicken on top of vegetables.  Pour diced tomatoes over chicken.  Add bay leaves.  Pour in sauce.

3. Cook on low heat for 8 hours, or on high for 5 hours.  Serve with Rice or Couscous.  

Serves 6