5/16/13

Steak Fajitas






Anyone else a fan of "Friends?"  Remember the episode with the awkward date between Ross, Charli, Joey, and Rachel?  Ross tries to convince them all that he's fine with the situation and announces that he's going to make "FAJITAS!"  Oh my gosh, I love that episode.  I am a HUGE fan of Friends - I own all 10 seasons, #10 being my first Christmas gift from The Hubs.  (Have I ever told you how much I love that man?)









So Fajitas.  This was a dish that frequented our dinner table when I was growing up.  Both my parents love fajitas.  But, as is my style, I had to up it a notch.  I'm not a big fan of packaged marinades.  They contain a lot of sodium.  I'd rather use fresh ingredients.  Plus, my version has orange juice in it.  It just something for the meat that makes it so UH-mazing.  Then, you add the vegis, the flour tortillas, and the extras, and you're instantly transported to food coma.




Steak Fajitas


Ingredients:


2 lbs. steak
Marinade
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
Flour tortillas
Guacamole
Salsa
Sour Cream
Fresh Cilantro


Marinade:

1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup orange juice
4 Tbs. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 chipolte chiles in adobo sauce
3 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt


Directions:

1. To make marinade, add all ingredients to food processor and puree until smooth.  Pour into resealable gallon size bag.

2. Add steak to bag with marinade.  Allow to marinade in refrigerator for 12-24 hours.

3. Preheat large skillet on medium high heat.  Remove beef from marinade.  Cook steak over medium high heat for 4-6 minutes on each side.  Remove to cutting board and allow to rest (this will lock in juices).  

4. Pour remainder of marinade into skillet and cook for 2 minutes.  Place vegetables in skillet and cook until tender.

5. Before serving, slice the steak into strips against the grain.  Serve with vegetables, tortillas, and condiments.

Serves 6