6/3/13

Guest Post - Wait 'Til Your Father Gets Home


Head on over to Wait 'Til Your Father Gets Home and check out my guest post.  Meredith is "out" on maternity leave and invited me over to play.  :)  See you there!





Hey y'all!  My name is Cat and I'm visiting today from He Married Me For My Cooking.  First of all, I want to thank Meredith for having me over to visit.  I fell in love with her blog the minute I read her title.  How many of you moms out there have said those exact words - "WAIT 'TIL YOUR FATHER GETS HOME!" It's like the epitome of threats.  Anyway, a little background about me.  I'm a military brat, born in Utah but raised all over.  I attended Brigham Young University, moved around some more, then met The Hubs.  We had K1, K2, and 2 dogs.  And we live in Las Vegas now.  Living in Las Vegas makes you uber spoiled in the food you eat.  But I am always on the lookout for a great eaterie.  Most of them have been some of the biggest dives ever.  But they serve the most amazing food.  My blog is all about my journey to make fantastic food for my family and share it along the way.  My motto: "If you are what you eat, then I only want the good stuff." - Ratatouille.


I'm here today with a wonderful Southern recipe.  I was reminded about this type of cobbler during my most recent visit to Roadkill Grill.  I'm not a huge fan of Peach Cobbler with the crumb/strussel crust.  BUT, throw a pie crust on it - Oh.My.COBBLER!  I looked and looked and looked for a recipe that would have a pie crust on it.  No such luck.  The other problem I have living in Las Vegas is that to come by really good fresh peaches is hard.  As in that's all they are - hard.  But then again, I grew up being super spoiled on fresh Utah peaches.




Have you ever eaten a Utah peach?  I have an uncle who has an orchard in Brigham City.  My parents go
every year (sometimes I got to go too) and get some to can, make jam, or fresh peach pie.  They are simply the best peaches you will ever taste.  I have been fortunate enough to get a couple bushels here and there.  They get made into jam, pie, and frozen fruit cocktail.  But alas, I am too far away for those juicy, sweet, fuzzy orbs.  So, I make do with canned peaches.  I am sure you could substitute with fresh peaches, but it turned out just fine with the canned version.







What did the family think of this tonight?  Well, K1 and The Hubs fought over each other's servings.  The Hubs called a Cobbler Foul when his was all gone (we're thick into NBA Playoffs).  And when we noticed that all the vanilla ice cream was gone, he told me to put the girls to bed and he'd run and get some more so we could have a late snack.  Maybe next time I ought to double the recipe?  Yes, it was THAT good.  So grab a couple cans of peaches next time you are in the store and be prepared to have to share this with everyone in your house. (Or not, that's why they invented locks on doors!)



Southern Style Peach Cobbler


Ingredients:


2 cans (29 oz.) peaches in lite syrup
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 Tbs. cinnamon
1/2 Tbs. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. orange extract
1/4 cup flour
1/2 Tbs. cornstarch
Pastry Dough for 1, 9" pan
1 egg + 1 tsp. water
Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Sugar

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Open peaches and drain syrup.  Pour peaches into a large bowl.  Add sugars, spices, vanilla, and orange extract.  Stir to combine.  Add flour and cornstarch.  Mix well.  Pour into an 8x8" square pan.

2. Prepare pastry dough and lay over top of peaches.  Press down on top of peaches and pinch edges along sides of pan to create a crust.

3. Brush egg wash on top of crust.  Cut 4, 2 inch slits in crush to vent.  Sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar on crust.  Bake for 50-60 minutes.  Allow to cool for 1 hour.  Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

Serves 6