6/23/13

Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes


Creamsicles are a treat of my childhood.  When I was a child though, we only had chocolate and banana.  Since then, they've introduced strawberry, orange, mint, egg nog, peppermint, and low fat varieties.  When summer hits, so does my cravings for a yummy, frozen treat.  And if I can hide a box of creamsicles in the freezer, I'm good to go for a couple of weeks.  While chocolate appeals to me most, I can't help but stash a few boxes of the fruity kinds during the summer.





So, naturally, I set out on a mission to create a cupcake that would imitate these lovely frozen, creamy delights.  They are light and refreshing, but still rich enough to call a cupcake.  Of course, you can't have a fruity cupcake without a little Cream Cheese Frosting!  Introduce cupcake coma......now.





Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes

Ingredients:


1 box white cake mix
1 package instant lemon pudding
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup canola oil
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Orange food coloring
Cream Cheese Frosting

Directions:


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line muffin pan with cupcakes liners.

2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except food coloring. Mix on low until batter is moistened.  Add food coloring until desire color is reached, and then mix on medium for 2 minutes.  

3. Fill liners 2/3 way full with batter.  Place in oven and bake for 18-22 minutes until cupcakes spring back when touched lightly.  Remove pan from oven and allow cupcakes to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to cool off completely.

4. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.

Makes 24 cupcakes
I was Featured on Sweet 2 Eat Baking