7/26/13

Friday Five and Meal Plan

It's Friday!  And guess what, I'm sick.  Who gets sick in the Summer?  Honestly.  It's like my body is protesting against me wanting to have a break this weekend in heading out to the lake for some boating.  I shall not be defeated though.

So, with me being sick, I'm going to share with you 5 of my favorite things when I'm sick.  I hope none of you have to use these until winter when we're SUPPOSED to be sick.  


1. Roommates' Remedy - Lemon, honey, and hot water.  I call it Roommates' Remedy because my roommate, Tristin, taught me about this.  And ever since then I drink it when I get sick and I'm better faster than I would be without it.  You take a half a lemon and squeeze it into a mug.  Leave the rind in the mug.  Add 2 Tbs. honey.  Pour boiling water over it and let it steep until cool enough to drink - please don't burn your mouth and throat.  I do this twice a day until my symptoms are gone. The lemon boosts your vitamin C intake.  The honey helps to sooth a sore throat.





2. Vicks VapoRub.  Lots of it.  On my chest, on my feet.  If I don't sleep, I don't get better.  This is also something I use on my kids when they get sick.  Whoever figured out that it helps when you put it on your kids feet and then put socks on was a genius!  



3. Pajamas.  I love them.  It is seriously one of the hardest things for me to do every day, just to change out of them.  It's not that I like being lazy, it's just that they are so dang comfortable.  I love Old Navy pajama pants - one of the best things about them is that they have minimal shrinkage and they are cool enough to wear in the Summer.



4. Movie Time.  When I'm sick, all I want to do is park myself on my couch with my pillow and a blanket and watch movies.  I have some that I could watch over and over and over again.  A few of those just happen to be Jack Lemmon classics - Grumpy Old Men (1 and 2) and The Great Race.  



5.  Warm Drinks.  My favorite is Tazo's Passion Tea.  It's a tea that I love unsweetened and that I can drink hot or cold.  And I usually double up on my serving whenever I'm sick.  Somehow it just helps with all the aches I'm feeling.




Meal Plan

It's so funny, whenever I get sick, all I want is comfort food.  And yes, next week is all about comfort food for me.  Things that make me feel better.  

Saturday: Free Day!  Have I ever mentioned how much I love free day?  Seriously. It's like a "Get out of Jail Free" card.  They should make a restaurant gift card with that motto on it.
Sunday: Slow Cooker Ribs (recipe to follow)
Monday: Asian Grilled Salmon
Tuesday: Lasagna Roll Ups (recipe to follow)
Wednesday: Turkey Meatloaf with Sesame Lime Dressing
Thursday: Chicken Pot Pie
Friday: Pizza (recipe to follow)

I can tell you right now that I'm not going to be in my "right mind" next week.  And so I can tell you that I'm going to take some time off to recuperate, especially with back to school meetings and events coming up on me.  I'll be posting on Facebook and Instagram as I prepare meals next week, so watch for me and what's going on around here.  And I'll catch you all in a week!

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers