7/25/13

French Bread Pizza


We're back to pizza.  Can you tell I like pizza?  No, I LOVE pizza.  Our relationship is probably more serious than is healthy for me, but I love warm, crispy crust and melted cheese.  And variety.  Deep dish, thin crust.  Red sauce, white sauce.  Veggie or meat lovers.  I'll take it.

Growing up we would have pizza and root beer Fridays.  My parents would lay a blanket down on the floor and let us eat on the floor while we were watching a movie together.  It was the highlight of the week.  Very often we had French Bread Pizza.  My parents opted for this version of pizza, because of its' simplicity and ease.

You can top this with anything you want.  I prefer to use a red pizza sauce.  But as you can see in the image, I did try it with a white sauce and it was still delicious.  Add meats, vegetables, pile it up.  The crust is, by default, crispy.  And putting it under the broiler melts the cheese quickly without burning the crust.





French Bread Pizza


Ingredients:


1 loaf French bread
1 jar pizza sauce
2 cups mozzarella cheese
Other toppings of your choice

Directions:

1. Preheat oven on broil.  Line baking sheet with aluminum foil.

2. Slice French bread loaf in half, lengthwise.  Place on pan.  Spread pizza sauce on bread.  Add toppings.  Sprinkle cheese over top.

3. Place pan under broiler and cook for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and begins to brown.  Remove and slice into 12 pieces.

Serves 6