8/20/13

Grandma Cook's Lemon Barbecue Chicken




Whenever I think of Barbecue Chicken, I think of my Grandma Cook.  This is a family recipe that I had at her house, my dad made it, and now I make it for my family.  I hope one day it'll be passed on to my girls.  I remember Summer evenings and my dad cooking out on the grill.  You could smell the sauce cooking on the stove top as soon as you walked in the door. It's not your traditional barbecue sauce.  It's a lemon, butter, and paprika base.  And while you think you would marinade the chicken in it, you don't.  It gives the chicken plenty of kick while it is grilling.  And it keeps the chicken nice and tender.




Grandma Cook's Lemon Barbecue Chicken


Ingredients:


4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup butter
3/4 cup lemon juice
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbs. paprika
2 tsp. oregano
3 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Directions:

1. In a small saucepan, melt butter.  Add lemon juice and remaining ingredients.  Bring just to a simmer and remove from heat.

2. Preheat grill over medium heat.  Oil grate.  Place chicken on a plate and brush with sauce.  Place chicken, sauce side down, on grill.  Cook for 4 minutes on each side, for a total of 20 minutes.  Baste the chicken with sauce after each rotation.  Remove from grill and place on platter.

Serves 6