8/19/13

Snickerdoodles




It's my mom's birthday today.  One of the biggest and strongest memories I have of my childhood is the scent of my parents' house.  My mom was constantly baking.  And cookies were a favorite.  All varieties of cookies.  But one of my mom's favorites was Snickerdoodles. Why are they called Snickerdoodles?  I have no clue.  I researched it, and there doesn't seem to be one straight answer.  But it's kind of a fun name for a cookie.




Snickerdoodles are a type of sugar cookie. The difference is that they have cream of tartar in them, making them a little bitter.  They are rolled in cinnamon and sugar.  They are a fantastic cookie.  Not as soft as sugar cookies, not as sweet.  But they are a wonderful cookie if you want something a little different from your traditional sugar cookie or chocolate chip.








Snickerdoodles



Ingredients:



1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
3 cups flour
2 Tbs. sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.


2. In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.  Beat in cream of tartar, salt, and baking soda.  Gradually add flour and mix until smooth.


3. Mix 2 Tbs. sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.  Shape dough by rounded teaspoons into balls.  Roll balls in mixture and place 2 inches apart on baking sheet.

4. Bake for 8-10 minutes.  Remove and place on racks to cool.

Makes 3 dozen