9/24/13

Banana Bread




My parents always tried to get us to eat bananas, A LOT of bananas, when I was growing up.  And without fail, they would always get black spots before we could eat them all.  And then we didn't want anything to do with them.  What is funny to me, that I found out recently, is those dark spots indicate that the banana is ripe.  When they are still green and yellow, they are not ripe.  What?!  NO!  I love my bananas that way!  Anyway, there was always an answer though to using those bananas that were never eaten - Banana Bread.  My mom made it in mass batches.  Then she'd freeze the loaves and save them for later.  





Everyone has a favorite way to make Banana Bread.  But everyone will admit that it's simple, it uses bananas that don't get eaten before they "go bad," and it's delicious.  It's great for breakfast or for a snack.  Personally, I love a nice thick slice of this, toasted, with butter on it for breakfast.  Hubs loves it.  K2 had a slice today for lunch.  It pretty much disappears as quickly as it was made.  Do I complain - nope. Those brown bananas aren't going to waste!




Banana Bread


Ingredients: 


1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
4 medium very ripe bananas
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of 1, 9-inch bread pan with shortening.


2. In mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Add flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Mix until combined. 


3. Pour batter into bread pan. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes.  Remove from oven and lay pan on its side.  Allow to cool.  Loosen loaf from bread pan by running a butter knife around the edges. Remove from bread pans and allow to completely cool before putting in baggies. Bread will keep for 10 days when kept in refrigerator.

*Emergency substitution: I HATE to buy buttermilk just for the sole purpose of making this, so I make my own: 1 Tbs. lemon juice or white vinegar plus enough milk to make 1 cup.


Makes 1 loaf

Updated 9/24/2013