9/5/13

Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup (Dora Soup)






The first time I made Chicken Tortilla Soup, K1 was about 2.  And she was very into Dora the Explorer.  Which was also about the time that Bryan Regan came out with his theory of the Map Song (go look it up on YouTube - HILARIOUS!).  But I digress.  So when she asked what I was making, and she heard the word "Tortilla," she immediately recognized it as a word she heard on Dora and promptly renamed this "Dora Soup."  And to this day, it has stuck. So if you see me put this on my meal plan as "Dora Soup," you'll know what it is.





This is a very simple soup to make. Outside of boiling the chicken (follow me on Instagram for a tip on boiling chicken!), it's a dump soup - all you have to do is dump everything into the slow cooker.  It is that simple.  This is seriously one of my favorite soups because the prep time is so little. Now, one thing I should mention - when I buy the canned vegis, I make sure to buy low sodium tomatoes and no salt corn.  Sorry, leave that out for me.  I'd rather add my own spices than laden it with salt.  Then top it with some fresh cilantro and avocado - wowzers, it's so yummy!  




Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup


Ingredients:



2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 (14.5 oz.) can red enchilada sauce
1 (15.25 oz.) can corn, drained
1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chilies
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups chicken broth
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 bay leaf
2 Tbs. chopped cilantro


For Garnish:

Sliced Avocado
Grated Cheese
Sour Cream
Tortilla Strips

Directions:

1. In crock pot, combine shredded chicken, diced tomatoes, enchilada sauce, corn, onion, green chilies and garlic. Add water, chicken broth, cumin, chili powder, salt, black pepper and bay leaf. Stir in cilantro.

2. Cover and cook on LOW 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH 3 to 4 hours.

3. Remove and discard bay leaf.

4. Sprinkle tortilla strips, cheese, and sour cream over soup. Serve immediately.

Serves 8