10/17/13

Fresh Peach Pie






There is nothing on this earth like a fresh peach grown in Utah. Since I was a child, I have grown up with these delicious orbs. Utah peaches are firm yet soft, sweet, juicy, and my mouth just waters thinking about them. My great uncle lives in Brigham City, Utah, and has an orchard of peaches and pears.  Every year between August and September my family gathers there to help him harvest and then they all take home some of each. My mom cans them and makes frozen fruit cocktail out of them. I make peach pies and jam. My Grandma Cook used to make peach pie for me - not the cooked fruit kind, but fresh fruit.



This pie is made with a Graham Cracker Crust and filled with sliced fresh peaches and a nice sauce, also made with peaches.  The sauce holds everything together and is sweeter than the peaches, so you get a nice balance of everything.  When I make the graham cracker crust, I put a smidge of ginger in the mixture, just to add another dimension to the pie.  Top it off with a dollop of whipped cream and it is heavenly.  It is a chilled pie, so it's perfect for hot Summer days as well.  Here's a tip, if you cannot find some ripe peaches when you want to make this, you can use frozen peaches instead.  




Fresh Peach Pie



Ingredients:


Prepared Graham Cracker Crust
1 cup sugar
3 Tbs. cornstarch

2 medium sized peaches, peeled and mashed to make 1 cup
3/4 cup water
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1 Tbs. butter
Pinch of salt
6-8 medium sized peaches, peeled and sliced


Directions:


1. Combined sugar and cornstarch in a medium size saucepan.  Whisk to ensure cornstarch is mixed in.  Add mashed peaches, water, and lemon juice.  Mix well until sugar and cornstarch are fully dissolved. Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to boil and becomes transparent and thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add butter and salt. Allow to cool.


2. Fold peaches into cooled sauce. Pour into graham cracker crust and refrigerate until pie is cold (at least 2 hours). Serve with whip cream.

Makes 1, 9" pie
Serves 8