10/18/13

Apple Pie








For the year that The Hubs and I were dating, and then the whole first year we were married, he would brag about the apple pies that his Grandma J would make. I hated apple pie growing up because they were always too sweet and mushy for me. I hate canned apples (used for making pies).  Well, the first Thanksgiving that we were married, I endeavored on a quest to make an apple pie from scratch.  Apparently I nailed it because every time I make this pie, The Hubs is drooling during preparation, baking, and the time it takes to cool.





The secret to my apple pie is that I use several different types of apples.  Gala and Granny Smith are my go to apples, and I ALWAYS put one Golden Delicious in - it's a bit softer than the rest, so it just gives it more added texture.  I also like Honeycrisp, Fuji, and Braeburn.  And if I absolutely must, I add a Red Delicious.  So this is the makeup of a typical Apple Pie for me:


2 Gala
2 Granny Smith
1 Golden Delicious
1 Honeycrisp or Braeburn
2 Fuji






And if I could tell you one thing to buy to make preparing this pie easier, it would be a lovely apple corer/peeler.  They can either suction to your countertop (that's what I have) or they can clamp onto it.  They are so handy to have because you stick the apple onto the prongs, crack the handle, and it will peel, core, and slice your apples for you.  All I do afterwards is cut the apple in half to have smaller slices.  This has taken me from a 1 hour prep time (peeling and slicing every apple) to literally 15 minutes or less.  






Apple Pie


Ingredients:


8 medium apples
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
Dash of salt
2 Tbs. butter, cut into cubes
Pie crust recipe for 2 pie crusts

Directions:

1. Peel, quarter, core, and thinly slice apples. Place in a bowl and cover with cold water and 1 Tbs. lemon juice to prevent apples from becoming dry, brown, and mushy.

2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

3. Make your pie crust, placing one crust in the bottom of a 9 inch pie pan.

4. In a large colander, drain apples. Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl and add apples. Stir to coat apples. Pour apples into crust lined pie pan.

5. Place butter cubes over the apple mixture. Place second pie crust on top of apples, seal crust, and flute. Cut 4 slits in the crust to allow pie to vent.

6. Cover outer edges of pie with aluminum foil, folded over edges to prevent burning. Remove aluminum foil during remaining 15 minutes of cooking. Cook for 40-50 minutes or until mixture is bubbling up through vents. Allow to cool for 2 hours before serving.

Makes 1, 9" pie
Serves 8