10/7/13

Pumpkin Bread







October + Pumpkin = Love.  True story.  I get giddy the last week of September because I know what October 1st brings - Pumpkin everything!  As I push my cart through the isles of stores and see cans of pumpkin, pumpkin flavored creamer, pumpkin M&Ms, pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin.......wait, where am I?  Yes, I occasionally go into a pumpkin induced coma.









And then I pass the Starbucks kiosk.  Oh.My.Lanta.  Their pumpkin loaf is my weakness.  And now I can make it at home for a third of the price.  Let the happy dance commence.  This bread turned out nice and soft, moist, and full of amazing Fall flavor.  And if the pumpkin seeds intimidate you, K1 says, "They taste just like sunflower seeds!"  They just give the bread a nice crunch.  You can buy them in the bulk foods section.




Pumpkin Bread


Ingredients:


1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1 can pumpkin
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9" loaf pan.

2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice.  Add pumpkin, eggs, milk, and sugars.  Stir until combined but a few lumps remain.  Pour into pan.  Sprinkle pumpkin seeds over the top of the batter.

3. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.  When cooled completely, run a knife around edges to loosen bread and remove from pan.

Makes one, 9" loaf