10/15/13

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie




So I've introduced you already to my friend Sarah.  She is a caterer, a baker, a wife, and a candlestick maker!  Oh wait, no, that's not right.  She's also a teacher!  Yes, that's her other profession.  And she is amazing at all of them.  You should see some of the cakes she has made!  But one of the things that separates Sarah from the rest is that she chooses to cook Gluten Free and Dairy Free.  Let me give you a recap, from a previous entry, of why she chooses this:






"One of my family’s specialties is our homemade whole wheat bread. I have always loved this bread. However, when I reached the fine age of 13, I started to have allergic reactions to it: my throat would swell up and my stomach would hurt. Not knowing much about food allergies, I lived my life believing that these things were perfectly normal. When I got to be 16, I started to have worse symptoms: bloating, digestive issues, headaches. Finally I went to a holistic doctor. After being tested, I found out that I was intolerant to wheat. I stopped eating it and felt great. Over the years, I became lax and let it slip in every so often. But, as nature would have it, my body does not like that too much (imagine that!). One year ago (almost exactly), I decided that enough was enough—I was going to cut out wheat and gluten completely. Ever since then, I have felt wonderful. Even though it has been a trial, I have loved experimenting in the kitchen, making all sorts of gluten-free dishes. Now, being gluten-free is easy!"





So heads up, when you follow this recipe exactly it is Gluten Free and Dairy Free.  If you choose not to make it that way, you can.  Just use a regular pie crust recipe and the rest of the ingredients are very easy to adjust.  And when you are done, make sure you visit Sarah over at Swavory Stuff for more Gluten Free recipes!





Strawberry Rhubarb Pie


Ingredients:

1 prepared, unbaked Gluten-Free pie crust
2 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
3 cups rhubarb, cut into ¾-inch pieces
4 Tbs. water
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 pinch fresh black pepper
3 Tbs. arrowroot (or tapioca starch or cornstarch)
1 tsp. orange zest
1 tsp. cornstarch or leftover pie crust flour
1 egg
1 Tbs. milk (I used almond milk)
1 Tbs. raw sugar

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar over strawberries. Let sit for 1 hour.

2. Roll out one ball of pie dough into a 12-inch circle, about  1/8 of an inch thick. Place dough in pie pan and trim the edge, leaving 1 inch of overhang. Roll out the second ball of pie dough and cut into ½ -inch-wide lattice strips. Keep strips on wax (parchment) paper.

3. Heat water in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Cook rhubarb until it softens slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Sprinkle rhubarb with lemon juice and let cool.

4. In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, ¼ cup sugar, salt, black pepper and arrowroot starch.

5. Move the strawberries into the pan with the cooled rhubarb, using a slotted spoon and leaving behind most juices. Add orange zest, vanilla, and dry mixture to fruit mixture. Stir gently with a spoon.

6. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon gluten-free flour into bottom of prepared pie shell and spread around with your fingertips (this will help your filling from bubbling over). Pour filling into pie pan, arrange lattice on top and crimp edges. Lightly beat together egg and milk and brush pie top with it. Sprinkle with raw sugar.

7. Place pie in the lower third of the oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F, move pie to center rack and continue to bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until filling is bubbling and pastry is golden. During baking time, cover your pie’s edges with foil or a pie crust shield so that the edges do not burn.

8. Allow to cool for at least 2 hours. Serve with fresh whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or just eat plain.

Makes 1, 9" pie