11/4/13

Banana Walnut Bread






The last round of quick bread that I made (Apple Cinnamon Bread) left me wanting another type of quick, sweet bread with a streussel type topping.  I had some very ripe bananas sitting on the counter, staring me in the face, and I knew that they needed to go.  But I already have a Banana Bread recipe.  Solution?  Add some walnuts and chocolate chips!










The chocolate chips break up the banana flavor (and vice versa) and the walnuts give it a crunch as well as a heartiness that the bread doesn't have alone.  And I learned something in the process: If I bake the bread just 5 minutes less than I usually do, I will end up with the sticky top that I LOVE from store bought sweet breads.  I am getting so excited to have a few sweet bread recipes under my belt before the holidays start.






Banana Walnut Bread

(With Chocolate Chips)


Ingredients:

1/3 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 Tbs. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
3 ripe bananas (the blacker the better!)
1 3/4 cups bread flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup chopped walnuts, divided
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9" bread pan.

2. Cream together butter and sugar.  Add eggs, milk, and vanilla.  Beat on low until smooth.  Add bananas and beat again until smooth.

3. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Using a wooden spoon, mix together until dry ingredients are incorporated, but small lumps should remain.  Do not over mix.  Fold in 1/2 cup walnuts and chocolate chips.

4. Pour batter into bread pan and sprinkle remaining walnuts over the top.  Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

5. Allow to cool in bread pan.  Run a knife along edges to loosen bread and remove.

Makes 1, 9" loaf
Serves 8