11/20/13

Grandma Cook's Thanksgiving Stuffing



One of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving is a tradition that has been passed down through several generations now - my Grandma Cook's Stuffing.  It's been a staple on the Thanksgiving table for as long as I can remember.  Even when we weren't at my grandparents' house, it would still be part of the meal.  And I am pleased to say that I have converted several members of The Hubs' family to stuffing as well!  People who have sworn off stuffing and profess to hate the stuff try this version and fall in love.  The difference is that my grandmother would use a pork sausage in her stuffing.  It gives the dressing/bread cubes flavor and a little kick, but not so much that you feel like you are reaching for a glass of water to wash it down.



Now, a little something that I do - I like to buy Jimmy Dean's® Pork Sausage with Sage in it.  You can find it in the meat section this time of year.  That way, you can get a little added oopmh.  I also like to make my stuffing a week or two ahead of the holiday to keep myself out of the kitchen for the ENTIRE day on Thanksgiving and the day before.  I place it in an aluminum pan  and seal it tightly with heavy duty foil, then I pop it in the freezer.  I pull it out an hour or two before dinner on Thanksgiving and stick it in the oven for the regular baking time.  And no, I do NOT put the stuffing in the turkey cavity.  Too many risks for food poisoning!




Grandma Cook's Thanksgiving Stuffing


Ingredients:


1 cylinder pork sausage
1 onion, finely chopped
1 russet potato, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
1 box Mrs. Cubbison's Classic Seasoned Dressing or Cube Stuffing
1 tsp. sage
1/2 Tbs. poultry seasoning

Directions:

1. In a large skillet, brown sausage.  Add onion, potato, and carrots.  Saute until vegetables are tender.

2. Pour dressing/stuffing into a 9x13 inch pan.  Sprinkle sage and poultry seasoning over dressing.  Add warm meat and vegetable mixture and gently fold until all ingredients are incorporated.

3. Cover with aluminum foil.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until heated through.

**Tip: You can make this ahead of time and freeze until ready to use.  Just make sure the pan is tightly sealed with foil to avoid freezer burn.  Remove from freezer about 1 hour before heating.

Serves 6