11/14/13

Slow Cooker White Bean Chili






I think I've expressed my love for a nice big bowl of hot chili.  But there are times when beef chili just gets a little old.  I like to have a variety of meats in my diet.  So when I came across the idea of a chili with a poultry base, I knew I would fall in love with the end result.










But with poultry, I wanted to use a lighter bean - color and flavor.  And because I love the texture of ground meat in chili, there must be ground turkey.  And chicken for added umph.  But there is no tomato base in this.  So don't wonder where I went wrong in the ingredients.  I didn't!  This is a lighter version of chili that even the kids love.  And don't forget the Corn Bread!  It's perfect with any kind of chili.




Slow Cooker White Bean Chili


Ingredients:


1 Tbs. canola oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb. ground turkey
1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 box chicken broth
2 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
2 bay leaves
3 cans (15 oz. each) various white beans, drained
Shredded Mexican Cheese

Directions:

1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.  Add onion to pan and cook until tender.  Add the garlic and ground turkey and cook until no longer pink.

2. Pour beans into slow cooker.  Add remaining ingredients.  Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.

3. Add cheese when serving.

Serves 6