1/23/13

Cilantro

I have been thinking all day about what I wanted my post today to be about. I really want to share different types of food and what their benefits are.

Today, I want to talk about this stuff:


Cilantro.  It is also known as Coriander or Chinese Parsley.  It is an herb used frequently in Latin American and Indian dishes.  The leaves are best used fresh and raw, cooking actually takes away most of their flavor.

The leaves contain antioxidants and have been found to have antibacterial effects again Salmonella.  It has been used for relief of anxiety and insomnia in Middle Eastern countries.  It has been studied for its effects against Type 2 Diabetes as well as treating high levels of cholesterol and triglycerides.  This happens by increasing synthesis of bile (by the liver) and increasing the breakdown of cholesterol into other compounds.

I use Cilantro all the time.  I love it.  It has a slight citrus taste and smell to it.  I use it in basically all my Latin American dishes.  I serve it fresh on salads and fish tacos.  I use it in my curries.  I LOVE it.

Some of my recipes using cilantro:

Creamy Tomatillo Salad Dressing
Cilantro Lime Rice
Pico de Gallo