2/27/13

Strawberries


It's Spring!  Who is ready for fresh fruit yet?!  I so am.  Really.  A lot.  And one of my favorites is the gorgeous red beauty - the strawberry.  I remember growing up and my grandma growing these in her garden.  She would get sooooooo mad if we picked them.  And yet, we did.  

Strawberries originated in France.  Well, at least the garden strawberry did.  It was primarily used for medicinal purposes (one of which was to treat depression).  They can be eaten fresh, preserved in jams, frozen, and dried.  They are consumed in salads, desserts, shakes, breads, etc.

Strawberries are an excellent source of Vitamin C and flavinoids.  And research has shown that they are an excellent source of antioxidants.  So eat up folks!  Yummy, juicy, sweet, tart, strawberries.  Now excuse me, I've got to go wipe my chin.