4/11/13

Meal Plan Fail

Oh, I had to share this with you today.  It's an important lesson for anyone who has a freezer.  

Whenever crawfish pops up in the seafood section of Smith's, I grab 2 pounds.  We love crawfish boils.  The Hubs served his mission for our church in Baton Rouge, Louisiana (which included New Orleans and parts of Mississippi).  I am a military brat with part of our time being spent in Biloxi, Mississippi.  We L.O.V.E. (can I put more emphasis on that?) Southern food.  So when it is a rare occasion for me to grab some lovely, tastey, ugly crawfish here in Las Vegas, I do.


(This is a crawfish boil that we had several years ago.  Holy cow, this is making me salivate as I write this.  But see, I told you crawfish were ugly.)


This was the case back in October.  And I had every intention of making a boil for us to feast on.  But they stayed in the freezer all Winter long.  When I cleaned out the freezer last week and made my meal plan, I saw an excellent opportunity for us to finally have one.  Until I saw this:


I bought these back in October.  They should be fine, right?  It's only been 6 months.  And you can store meats, without compromising their quality, for up to a year!  And then I read this:


AW CRAP!  Epic fail.  I guess my box of Zatarain's Crab Boil will have to wait until I find the next round of crawfish at Smith's.  Lesson I learned?  Don't leave shellfish (or fish) in the freezer longer than 3 months.