5/30/13

Key Lime Cupcakes





What calls out to me more than sunscreen when the hot temps hit?  Key Lime anything.  I love the sweet and tart combination of this citrus fruit.  I was first introduced to Key Lime at a restaurant here in Vegas.  I was pregnant, VERY PREGNANT, in the thick of summer, and I had a huge craving for Mexican food.  This one particular evening, they were serving Key Lime Cheesecake for dessert and we simply could not resist.  I was instantly smitten with the flavors and how refreshing it was.








The best part about this recipe is that it's fast, it's easy, and it only requires a few ingredients. It uses my cupcake base recipe with a lovely tart twist to it.  A cake mix, a pudding mix, a few wet ingredients, and voila!  The only downside is that you won't want to share.  Instead of topping it with a Key Lime frosting, I opt for my cream cheese frosting to mix up the flavors just a bit.




Key Lime Cupcakes


Ingredients:

1 box white cake mix
1 small package instant lemon pudding mix
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup key lime juice
1/3 cup canola oil
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Green food coloring

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line muffin pan with cupcakes liners.

2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except food coloring. Mix on low until batter is moistened.  Add food coloring until desire color is reached, and then mix on medium for 2 minutes.  

3. Fill liners 2/3 way full with batter.  Place in oven and bake for 18-22 minutes until cupcakes spring back when touched lightly.  Remove pan from oven and allow cupcakes to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to cool off completely.

4. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.

Makes 24 cupcakes