6/19/13

French Omelets


I LOVE simple dinners.  Do you ever have one of those evenings where a big prep dinner just doesn't sound appealing?  I have those.  And spaghetti can only last me so long before I get tired of it.  And Mexico RUINED me for boxed tacos, in a good way. So, my fall back dinner on those lazy days are French Omelets.



French Omelets are so versatile.  I prefer to make my with lots of vegetables because of the amount of protein you get from the eggs.  But if you prefer a more traditional taste, you can add sliced meat, sausage, or bacon.  And of course you have to include cheese.  Wonderful, melty cheese.  I love how these work so similarly to a crepe, but have more substance to them.  They are more filling than a crepe, simply because they are straight up protein rather than containing flour in the batter (fillers).  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE crepes, but there is a time and a place for them.






There is also a lot of wiggle room on how big you can make your omelet.  For example, I use only 1 egg and a medium skillet for the kiddos.  For the Hubs, who is a Crossfitter, I use 3 in the large skillet.  That way everyone gets the right portions.  But what makes the omelet "French" is that it is cooked flat and then folded in half.  Very, very simple.  The trick is to make sure your skillet is nice and greased (even if you have non-stick pans), or else your omelet will not lift properly.







French Omelets

Ingredients (per omelet):

2 eggs
1 Tbs. water
Dash of salt
Dash of pepper
Dash of dill weed
1/4 cup colby jack cheese
Spinach, mushrooms, avocado, deli ham, any other fillings of your choice
Butter or cooking spray

Directions:

1. Preheat large skillet over medium heat.  Grease pan with butter or cooking spray.

2. Whisk eggs, water, salt, pepper, and dill weed in a small bowl until combined.  Pour into hot skillet.  Cook until edges have cooked through.  Sprinkle cheese over half the omelet. Add other fillings.

3. Using a spatula, carefully slide it under the half of the omelet that has no toppings.  Fold over toppings.  Allow to cook for a 2 more minutes, then flip.  Cook for a until egg has cooked all the way through and cheese is melted.

4. Serve with avocado, salsa, ketchup, sour cream, or plain.


Makes 1 omelet