1/30/13

Lemons


So today, I want to talk to you about lemons.  I LOVE lemons.  I'll have them on fish, in ice water, in rice, in marinades, and I use them a lot when I am sick with some honey.  I even remember, as a teenager, using lemon juice in my hair to lighten it during the summer.

The lemon is an evergreen tree, native to southeast Asia.  In fact, India is still the largest producer of lemons in the world, followed by Mexico.  The U.S. falls in 6th place in production.  There are many different varieties.  The most popular in the U.S. are the Eureka, the Bonnie Brae, and the Meyer.  In fact, a lot of people prefer the Meyer because it is slightly sweeter.  Do you know why?  It's because the Meyer is actually a hybrid between a lemon and a mandarin orange.

The lemon is used in cooking, aromatherapy, as a preservative, a cleaner, a moisturizer, a deodorant, an insecticide, and as an acid.  It contains vitamin C (citric acid), calcium, magnesium, and bioflavonoids.  All of these aid in immunity and fighting infection.

Here's a few recipes that I use lemons in:

Chicken Souvlaki
Roast Chicken with Sweet Potatoes